Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 03:22:10 +0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> ruby-mode doesn't run on older Emacsen, but it's not hard to fix.  Since
>>> earlier versions distributed via Marmalade and Tromey's archive seem to
>>> cause problems, perhaps we should make an effort and upload the current
>>> version to Marmalade, at least once. It stable enough, I think.
>
> More generally, we could sync up the Emacs trunk code with the
> ruby-mode in http://svn.ruby-lang.org/repos/ruby/trunk/misc.

a. Ruby trunk has some objectionable code, which I believe we shouldn't
merge, and noone seems to be interested in discussing or reverting it:
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6854

b. They've had a bug about removing ruby-mode.el for months now:
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6823 Again, no movement there.

c. No ELPA repositories are tracking Ruby trunk anymore. We just have
some older versions uploaded to Marmalade and Tromey's archive a while
back.

>> I guess this makes sense. I've often seen complaints about the ruby-mode in
>> Marmalade being older than the one currently bundled in Emacs.
>
> As long as it doesn't cause people to fork (i.e. start contributing new
> features to some older version of ruby-mode such as the one in
> svn.ruby-lang.org, it's not really a problem.

True, just a potential problem for users with Emacs 24.2 and earlier.