Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 12:33:33 +0300

On 8 July 2013 00:56, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> SMIE comes with Emacs since 23.4 and ruby-mode doesn't use SMIE:
> I'm interested in working on this, but I'm not sure how soon I'll be able
> to fit it in my schedule.

Please do send along any question you might have about SMIE.

>> Why have a special face for the negation char?  What's so special about
>> this char?
> As the face description says it's pretty easy to overlook an ! attached to
> some identifier(like !ol - you can mistake the this for lol).

Hmm... never thought of it as a problem.  So presumably this face
wouldn't be used for variants like "¬" or "not", right?

Yep, I'm pretty sure the idea is to use it just for !.

>> ruby-mode doesn't run on older Emacsen, but it's not hard to fix.  Since
>> earlier versions distributed via Marmalade and Tromey's archive seem to
>> cause problems, perhaps we should make an effort and upload the current
>> version to Marmalade, at least once. It stable enough, I think.

More generally, we could sync up the Emacs trunk code with the
ruby-mode in http://svn.ruby-lang.org/repos/ruby/trunk/misc.

> I guess this makes sense. I've often seen complaints about the ruby-mode in
> Marmalade being older than the one currently bundled in Emacs.

As long as it doesn't cause people to fork (i.e. start contributing new
features to some older version of ruby-mode such as the one in
svn.ruby-lang.org, it's not really a problem.

>> We should contact Kyle, then, for the copyright assignment. Or, again,
>> patches welcome. :)
> I guess it'd be best of Stefan approached him?

I can't see any email address.  Could you ask him to get in touch with me?

I saw this email on his GitHub profile address@hidden

        Stefan