Re: [cedet-semantic] scrolling while editing RFC

From: Dave Milter
Subject: Re: [cedet-semantic] scrolling while editing RFC
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 15:55:22 +0400

Hi, any update on this?
I met the same problem.
It is fun to see what happens for example when I use 'C-x 2' to work with two buffers.
While I editing one buffer, another buffer scroll forward and backward, it looks like ghost work on my machine with me.

May be experienced emacs developer suggest how track down this problem?

I see it like for example exists two function:
the-most-internal-scroll-buffer-function
the-most-internal-move-cursor-function

I put breakpoints on them with condition that on top of call stack is "timer event", not "key event". And then see who is ghost.

Anybody from top emacs coders know is it possible?
Are there
the-most-internal-scroll-buffer-function
the-most-internal-move-cursor-function
and what are their names,
and is it possible to check call stack and find out certain function on it?

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 6:26 AM, Eric M. Ludlam <address@hidden> wrote:
On 06/18/2013 05:15 PM, Barry OReilly wrote:
> While I'm editing C++ or Java source code, I find that there is
> undesired scrolling, seemingly because of Semantic parsing new code. I
> started seeing this when I customized scroll-margin to 4 and
> scroll-conservatively to 101. I'll be in the middle of typing code
> (nowhere near the scroll margins), then I see point briefly flash to the
> function header and back to where I'm editing. While the point moved
> however, it caused an automatic scroll.
>
> I experimented with something like this in a command:
>
>    (defun myfun ()
>      (interactive)
>      (save-excursion (goto-char 43) (sleep-for 1)))
>
> and found that M-x myfun never causes an automatic scroll, no matter
> whether position 43 is outside view, in the scroll-margin, or in the
> middle of view. Also, during the 1 second I don't even see point at 43,
> like I do when I encounter this bug.
>
> Does Semantic ever move point outside of save-excursion and restore it
> another way? Could you indicate the Semantic functions invoked while one
> is writing code? Perhaps you could write code for a little with these
> scroll settings to see if you can reproduce it.

Hi Barry,

   The place to start is in cedet/semantic/idle.el.  The outward call to
the various work functions purposely does not use 'save-excursion' so
tools like completion can move things around for you.

   An easy trick is to use the Development menu to turn off all the
various service modes (like parse in idle time) and see which one causes
the scroll.  Maybe tag summaries or tag completion is it.

Good Luck
Eric