Re: E-LISP licensing question

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: E-LISP licensing question
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 13:06:15 -0400

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     Worse yet: what if some of those libraries are GPLv2 and the
>     others are GPLv3?
>
> If a library is GPLv2-or-later that includes GPLv3.
> If a library is under GPLv2 only, we should regard it as dead
> and write a replacement.

This isn't the real issue, and seems likely to just side-track us.

5 years ago, you said:

  I asked people (including a lawyer) to work on some advice about this.
  Meanwhile, I suggest that people refrain from arguing about it here
  without the benefit of lawyers.

Did you ever get an answer?
The question was:

    If I write some emacs lisp code does the way emacs deals with that code
    at runtime mean that the code must always be under the GPL?

    Or to put it another way...

    Does doing (require 'foo.el) link the code into emacs in such a way that
    foo.el must be licensed under the GPL.