Re: No rule to make target `../lib/ignore-value.h'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: No rule to make target `../lib/ignore-value.h'
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 20:12:10 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 12:05:36 -0400
> Cc: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> Juanma Barranquero wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't oppose, but, OOH, that no one is really willing to maintain
> > the configure.bat build procedure now does not mean that someone could
> > not step in.
>
> IMO we should strongly discourage anyone from doing that.

How do you discourage volunteers from scratching their itches?  (Not
that we have them queuing up for the job in this case.)

> Unless they want to take total responsibility for it, so that no-one
> else ever has to touch it again.

We are already there: no one touches those files unless they want to.
But you need to give people time to realize that these files are no
longer maintained and step in if they want.  It's not like the fact of
their deprecation was announced in the media.  No harm will be done if
we keep the files a little bit longer.  They are just lying there
collecting dust, that's all.