Re: E-LISP licensing question

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: E-LISP licensing question
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 10:27:05 +0200

Yes. We were discussing Emacs Lisp libraries. You will notice that I said "If a library..." There are people who want to make me look bad, and don't mind if the means are dishonest. Perhaps because Microsoft pays them -- it was caught doing this a couple of months ago -- or perhaps they get their kicks from mistreating people.

Whoever quoted it out of context might be one of them, in which case you should put him down as someone to ignore. However, that person might be honest and have been misled by others. If so, you could perhaps help him see what is happening and stop it.

Since I did the out-of-context-quote leading to this, let me please clarify this non-event briefly. This is what I said on IRC :
RMS said: "If a library is under GPLv2 only, we should regard it as dead and write a replacement." Looks like a fun project.

I added nothing else on that subject except, on request, a reference
(Date and Message-ID).

Disappointing but there is no Microsoft involved : overinterpretation is
the devil here.

--
Nico.