Re: imagemagic in image-mode and image-dired-thumbnail-mode?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: imagemagic in image-mode and image-dired-thumbnail-mode?
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 21:50:42 +0200

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> I've seen (unanswered) crash reports related to ImageMagick. Eg
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8341
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11701

Well, those are PDF-related, and PDF is on the list of stuff imagemagick
shouldn't handle.

> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11831

Man, that's a bad bug report.  Impossible to reproduce.

> And as you know, ImageMagick support for animated/multi-frame images is
> broken
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7978

Yup.

> And likewise for metadata in general
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?include=subject%3Amagick;package=emacs
>
> And no-one seems interested in working on any of these issues, so IMO we
> should stick with the more tested image libraries as default for the
> formats that they handle.

But since the other formats don't do scaling, they're aren't very
user-friendly.  Nobody wants to look at a tiny corner of a picture.
(Except under special circumstances.)  The default of all the Emacs
image-viewing modes should be to rescale down to the frame or window
size.  And only imagemagick does that.

But, yes, it's problematic that nobody has stepped up to the plate in
chasing down imagemagick bugs lately.