Re: imagemagic in image-mode and image-dired-thumbnail-mode?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: imagemagic in image-mode and image-dired-thumbnail-mode?
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 18:50:38 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,
>     address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 14:45:26 +0900
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>
>  > > Eli, are you proposing to do the work yourself?
>  >
>  > You know very well that if I did, I would not be speaking here, but
>  > instead coding and committing.
>
> Really?  Given several people who are interested in this feature
> although unable to do significant work on it at the moment?  I didn't
> realize you were an advocate of "last commit wins". ;-)

Last commit always wins.

>  > I don't disagree with the principle, but the results are evidently not
>  > very satisfactory.
>
> Image libraries suck, that's part of life.  How many PNG crashes and
> GIF crashes have been fixed upstream?  How many of these libraries
> have undocumented restrictions on arguments or image formats that
> people have had to guess at over the years?  How many more of those
> undocumented restrictions will have to be deduced in order to add
> features like scaling, one at a time?  I don't know the details, but I
> can tell you that over the last ten years, as far as those affecting
> XEmacs go, the answers are "lots", "all of them", and "dunno, but past
> experience doesn't allow me to be optimistic".

As a matter of fact, my experience with image libraries used by Emacs
is very positive.  I don't think I ever had any crash related to that.

>  > You didn't mention scaling, which seems to be the trigger for this
>  > thread.
>
> Other people mentioned it, so I didn't think I needed to. :-)

OK, but that's the gist of this thread, IMO.  Scaling is an important
feature needed by eww and whatnot, so we should try to have a stable
implementation, one way or another.