Re: Blink cursor changes, possible W32 breakage.

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Blink cursor changes, possible W32 breakage.
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 10:58:00 +0900

>> Yes, but timers are still running, so Emacs are never swapped out,
>> and drains battery on laptops (yes it makes a difference).
>
> Then I would suggest only turning on this functionality if the machine
> is on battery power.  Surely there's a dbus message for that?
>
> For machines that aren't on battery power, this doesn't seem like
> something that users would want.

It seems like rather nice behavior from a user point of view,
actually:  "active" windows will still be blinky, but "sitting in the
background forever" windows will not be.  I doubt most users will even
notice, to be honest, because they tend to focus on active windows --
and to the degree that a blinking cursor draws attention to non-active
windows, the old behavior (always blinking) is arguably a _bad_ thing.

Given that, adding all the complexity necessary to use _battery power_
as a precondition seems quite absurd...

-miles

--
Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without
knowledge, of things without parallel.