Re: Blink cursor changes, possible W32 breakage.

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Blink cursor changes, possible W32 breakage.
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 09:38:32 +0200

Hello.

17 jul 2013 kl. 06:56 skrev Miles Bader <address@hidden>:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> If you only stop the timers that blink the cursor, then this isn't
>> going to fix the problem.  There's any number of timers active at
>> any given time in any non-trivial Emacs session.  You need to stop
>> them all, or the battery drain will continue.

We can't know what other timers do, in general.  Maybe they are supposed to run
some Elisp in the background and/or when the frame has no focus.  In contrast,
we know very well what blinking timers are supposed to do, so we have control
over those.  Default when starting Emacs, the only repeating timer is the blink
timer.  To start other timers you would need to customize and/or load optional
packages.

> Is it _timers_ that cause battery drain, or _timers firing_?  I'd
> imagine that with a reasonable implementation, it would be the
> latter...

You are right, it is the latter of course.

        Jan D.