Re: Blink cursor changes, possible W32 breakage.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Blink cursor changes, possible W32 breakage.
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 17:56:42 +0300

> From: Jan Djärv <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 09:38:32 +0200
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden
>
> > Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> >> If you only stop the timers that blink the cursor, then this isn't
> >> going to fix the problem.  There's any number of timers active at
> >> any given time in any non-trivial Emacs session.  You need to stop
> >> them all, or the battery drain will continue.
> >

> We can't know what other timers do, in general.  Maybe they are supposed to
> run some Elisp in the background and/or when the frame has no focus.  In
> contrast, we know very well what blinking timers are supposed to do, so we
> have control over those.

But if you stop one timer, but leave the other N running, what did you
accomplish, exactly, in terms of allowing the laptop stop using
battery power and perhaps swap Emacs out of RAM?

> > Is it _timers_ that cause battery drain, or _timers firing_?  I'd
> > imagine that with a reasonable implementation, it would be the
> > latter...
>
> You are right, it is the latter of course.

Now I'm completely confused: if blink-cursor timer doesn't drain the
battery, why should we try hard to stop it?  Why isn't it enough to
stop blinking when no Emacs frame has focus?