Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113431: Stop cursor blink after blink-cursor-bl

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113431: Stop cursor blink after blink-cursor-blinks (10), stop timers when not blinking.
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:07:21 +0200

Hello.

18 jul 2013 kl. 09:48 skrev Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:

>>> Please document this in etc/NEWS.  Many people have asked for such
>>> "hooks" to highlight the frame/buffer/window that has focus.
>> The objects, events or functions?  I thought that events in special_map was
>> kind of "internal", but I see switch-frame is documented.  I can document
>> focus-in/out in a similar way.
>
> Hmm... why is it in the special map?

Because switch-frame is there, and this is similar.

>>> Why not everywhere?
>> A non-gui Emacs has no control of the cursor, it is a property of the
>> underlying terminal.
>
> Why does it matter?  Such global compatibility details should presumably
> be handled elsewhere by simply not enabling the blink-cursor timers
> under ttys if it doesn't work (tho I do know it can be made to work in
> some cases).

blink-cursor-mode is not enabled by default on ttys.  It can be enabled
manually, but it has no effect other than running the timers.  Also, there is
really no concept of focus-out or focus-in in a tty session, we can't know when
we have or loose focus.

        Jan D.