Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113431: Stop cursor blink after blink-cursor-bl

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113431: Stop cursor blink after blink-cursor-blinks (10), stop timers when not blinking.
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:53:58 +0200

Hello.

18 jul 2013 kl. 10:46 skrev Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:

>>> Why does it matter?  Such global compatibility details should presumably
>>> be handled elsewhere by simply not enabling the blink-cursor timers
>>> under ttys if it doesn't work (tho I do know it can be made to work in
>>> some cases).
>> blink-cursor-mode is not enabled by default on ttys.
>
> Exactly my point: you don't need to "disable" your code under ttys,
> since the code is not run anyway in that case.

I did not disable it for ttys in particular, but for w32.  If there is no
focus-in implementation for w32 (as the case is right now), cursors won't start
blinking when a frame gets focus again.

>> Also, there is really no concept of focus-out or focus-in in a tty
>> session, we can't know when we have or loose focus.
>
> I don't think we really need focus-in/focus-out for the feature to be
> useful: you can just blink N times every time Emacs becomes idle and
> then stop blinking.

But then the above applies, it won't stop blinking if the (for example) xterm
looses focus and it wont start blining when the xterm regains focus.  The
latter is more serious IMHO.

        Jan D.