Re: imagemagic in image-mode and image-dired-thumbnail-mode?

From: Vitalie Spinu
Subject: Re: imagemagic in image-mode and image-dired-thumbnail-mode?
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 00:27:23 +0200

 >> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
 >> on Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:47:15 +0200 wrote:

 > Vitalie Spinu <address@hidden> writes:
 >> For `imagemagick', `image-transform' will try to use internal
 >> Emacs ImageMagick support. For `convert' use external ImageMagick
 >> \"convert\" utility to produce a transformed temporary image
 >> file.

 > If you want to avoid temporary file management, you can "convert" with
 > output to a buffer, and then just call `create-image' on the buffer
 > contents.

 > It'll be slower, but I haven't measured how much slower.

A big complication with temp files is that you have to track and clean
unused once, and I don't see a clean way of achieving this as yet.

On the other hand, the user might requests several transforms in a
sequence, so you will have to store to the file to pass it further to
'convert' anyhow. It might also better work on remotes as the file is
stored on remote machine.

For batch transforms, like thumbnail creation, it would be much faster
to get it done all at once bypassing emacs altogether. So I would stick
with temp files for time being.

    Vitalie