Re: CommonLisp namespace system (was Re: adding namespaces to emacs-lisp

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: CommonLisp namespace system (was Re: adding namespaces to emacs-lisp (better elisp?))
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:45:40 -0600

Nic> I disagree. Emacs isn't CommonLisp, never has been CommonLisp and
Nic> very likely, never will be CommonLisp.

But it is like Common Lisp's little brother.
With EIEIO now it is even growing up a bit :)

Nic> In Emacs world, we use "package" to mean something different from what
Nic> CL "package" means. So right at the start that effort is doomed without
Nic> a major change to Emacs 24.

I think the name clash is unfortunate.  Bad self.  However, in practice
I don't think there's any difficulty of using the name to mean both
things, just a small overlap during discussions.  In particular I don't
think package.el has any symbols that conflict with things from CL.

Tom