Re: adding namespaces to emacs-lisp (better elisp?)

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: adding namespaces to emacs-lisp (better elisp?)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 12:35:17 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I'm not sure how you could do that and neither am I sure that would
>>> preserve backward compatibility.  So without more details of how that
>>> would work, it sounds like wishful thinking to me.
>> This is the core of my proposal.
>> The guts of intern need to be altered to be aware of when it is being
>> called in a packaged context. I am currently expecting to be able to do
>> this with a file local variable.
>
> That's easy when the reader calls `intern', but I'm talking about when
> the Elisp code itself makes calls to `intern'.

Well, (emacs:intern name) is equivalent to (cl:intern name :emacs).
The difficult point to deal with is (emacs:intern ":keyword").  You want
it to be equivalent to (cl:intern "keyword" :keyword) instead, but this
would break some emacs lisp code.  You can leave it as (cl:intern name
:emacs) but then :keyword and emacs:\:keyword would have to be unified.

You know you've been lisping too long when you see a recent picture of George
Lucas and think "Wait, I thought John McCarthy was dead!" -- Dalek_Baldwin