Re: desktop-restore-frames

From: chad
Subject: Re: desktop-restore-frames
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 06:47:46 -0500

On 28 Jul 2013, at 06:34, Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> wrote:

> - With really little effort, it is possible to create a mini-package
> to save & restore a stack or queue of frame configurations
> dynamically, so you could do
>
>  M-x save-frame-state   ; pushes state
>  M-x restore-frame-state   ; pops state
>  C-{N} M-x restore-frame-state  ; restores state {N}, does not pop
>  M-x next-frame-state
>
> etc. so you could, on one session, push, pop and cycle between frame
> states (it could even be made persistent). This does not offer too
> much of an advantage over the current frame-configuration-to-register
> stuff, but offers more flexibility: for example, with a bit of coding
> there could be commands to bring all frames in all displays to the
> current display, or to delete all frames in other displays.

This sounds like the Eclipse `Perspective' feature that was discussed
and wanted ~last year. I've done something similar in the past with
X resources, named frames, and hardcoded elisp, so I'd guess that
people will find it useful. (Apologies if this seems obvious; I'm
catching up while on the road).

Thanks again for making this happen!
~Chad