Re: Info Directory: What counts as an editing mode?

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Info Directory: What counts as an editing mode?
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 20:13:14 +0200

On Sun, 04 Aug 2013 18:15:56 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Stephen Berman <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 12:46:21 +0200
>>
>> I've finally finished the Texinfo manual for Todo mode and am ready to
>> install it, but first would like clarification about where to put the
>> Info dir entry.  The natural place would seem to be in the section
>> "Emacs editing modes", but there are several entries in the "Emacs misc
>> features" section for packages that seem to be primarily used for
>> editing (in some sense): Autotype, EDT, Forms, Remember, VIP, VIPER.  So
>> where should I put the entry for Todo mode?
>
> I'd put Todo in the "Misc features" part.  It's not clear-cut, but it
> looks like "Editing modes" are reserved for larger packages.

It's true that all the packages under "Emacs editing modes" are
multifile and larger than todo-mode.el.  On the other hand, if size is
the reason for putting those other packages under a separate heading,
then the heading chosen is rather misleading.  Moreover, EDT and VIPER
are also multifile and VIPER is also quite large.  But I don't want to
make a big deal of this, so if no one else chimes in, I'll go ahead and
put the entry under "Emacs misc features".

Steve Berman