Re: Determining whether a TCP connection is up

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Determining whether a TCP connection is up
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 04:12:50 +0200

Julien Danjou <address@hidden> writes:

> I think most IMAP clients uses a pool of several connections in the
> background to deliver actions based on some sort of queue, like delete
> something or fetch this. Having this would solve partially the problem
> since if a connection goes AWOL, you just have to wait for the kernel to
> kill the TCP connection it at some point (which might takes time), but
> you can continue to create new (working) connections to fulfil the user
> requests in the meantime, and then requeue the action that timed-out.

Whether you have a pool of connections or kill/reconnect, the problem
remains the same: Figuring out when to switch connections/reconnect.

And in the case that the IP address changed, all your connections in the
pool will hang, so it doesn't really help...

  No Gnus T-Shirt for sale: http://ingebrigtsen.no/no.php
  and http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2013/08/twenty-years-of-september.html