Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 10:52:02 -0400

> Thanks. I've read this before, but the list seems pretty arbitrary.

It is arbitrary to a large extent, but it has the virtue of making it
clear who's stepping on who's foot when two packages's bindings conflict.

> I don't know of any minor mode that uses the prefix `C-c #' (because it
> requires you to press Shift).

That's lucky for those poor minor modes: it's always really difficult to
find good bindings for minor modes because there are very few bindings
reserved for them, and they have the added problem of having to cohabit
with other minor modes.

Usually major modes prefer to use bindings which start with C-c
C-<something>.  There are usually many such keys available and they're
pretty easy to type since you can just keep the control key pressed.

        Stefan