Re: make distclean and quail

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: make distclean and quail
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 04:48:54 +0200

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hack leim/Makefile.in to display both sides of the offending
> inequality, and see what you get there.
>
> My crystal ball says that this is somehow related to MSYS
> transformation of file names [...]

It's taken a while, but I finally caught a bootstrap log where the
deletion of leim files did happen. I had changed the distclean target
in leim/Makefile to read

distclean: clean
        @echo SRC = ${srcdir}
        @echo PWD = `/bin/pwd`
        -[ `cd ${srcdir} && /bin/pwd` != `/bin/pwd` ] && rm -rf quail
        rm -f Makefile

and I've got:

SRC = /c/devel/emacs/repo/trunk/leim
PWD = /c/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk/leim

The previous bootstrap, which succeeded (I mean, didn't delete
leim/quail/* files) had identical PWD, but SRC =
/c/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk/leim.

Looking at ./Makefile,

  # We use $(srcdir) explicitly in dependencies so as not to depend on VPATH.
  srcdir=/c/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk

and, in fact, all along the bootstrap's log, make output uses the
"right" casing:

  make[2]: Entering directory '/c/Devel/emacs/repo/trunk'

while shell commands do not:

  [ -r "/c/devel/emacs/repo/trunk/src/config.in" ] || ( cd
/c/devel/emacs/repo/trunk && autoheader )

In both cases the bootstraps were invoked through the same alias,
paths, binaries, etc.

Any idea what can be causing this?

TIA,