Re: compile mode and $EMACS

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: compile mode and $EMACS
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 14:28:34 +0200

Sebastian Wiesner <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I just discovered that compile mode adds "EMACS=t" to the process
> environment (see "compilation-start").
>
> […] How is it supposed to be interpreted by the invoked program?  […]

Some compilers may have different error message output formats depending
on whether they're run INSIDE_EMACS or not.

For example, ant has the -e option to output emacs friendly formatted
error messages.

(Of course, emacs can also adapt itself to the various compiler error
message output formats, cf. C-h v compilation-error-regexp-alist)

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/