Re: make distclean and quail

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: make distclean and quail
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 23:39:28 +0200

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Could it be that those that are downcased are all in quotes?

Not all. In the following,

  [ -r "$@" ] || ( cd ${srcdir} && autoheader )

Both $@ and ${srcdir} are downcased.

  if test -f "$(srcdir)/.gdbinit"; then rm -f ./.gdbinit.save; \

  -test . = "$(srcdir)" || test -z "$(CONFIG_CLEAN_VPATH_FILES)" || rm
-f $(CONFIG_CLEAN_VPATH_FILES)

These two are quoted.

  -cd $(buildinfodir) && rm -f emacs$(INFO_EXT) emacs$(INFO_EXT)-[1-9]
emacs$(INFO_EXT)-[1-9][0-9]

$(buildinfo) is set to $(srcdir)/../../info  (no quotes)

> Maybe try a newer one.

I couldn't find a newer one. This is identical to the one in the
latest binary package in the URL above.

> And reconfiguration is triggered very often these days, so you should
> have seen this more frequently.

Yes. I bootstrap at least once a week or so, and I think I've seen
this bug no more than six times or so.

> Perhaps you should always create a log of a build (e.g., with 'tee'),
> and collect those that fail like this.  Then, when you have a few, we
> could see what do they have in common.

I have a log of this one, and the previous (successful) one.  See the
attached files (the first ~120 lines of the next-to-last boot,
successful.log, and the last, unsuccesful.log).

> I think it's just a subtle bug, all it is.

That's another way to say that it is puzzling ;-)