Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113773: Gnus: delete temporary files when Gnus

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113773: Gnus: delete temporary files when Gnus exits instead of using timers
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:03:24 +0900

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I don't think there "a solution".  You could mix the two previous
>> solutions: have a timer erase the files after some time, plus have an
>> exit-hook that also deletes the files.

> Yes.  Having the files in /tmp linger for a "long time" is not what
> users expect, I think, and may lead to privacy problems.

Yes, we should think much of privacy.  A better way would be to
set $TMPDIR, $TEMP, $TMP, and so forth to someting like "~/tmp".

> So Gnus should delete the files "as fast as possible", which may not
> be very fast, but should be quicker than the Emacs lifetime.

> So I think deleting on Emacs exit is good, but there should be a timer
> to delete things "fast".  Like, one minute, perhaps?  Surely even the
> xgd launcher must have managed to start and read the file by then?

Ok, I've restored a timer that tries to delete a temporary file
and its directory 1 minute after launching a viewer.
(Though the deletion will fail on Windows or Cygwin if a viewer
 is a Windows application, MS Office, AcroRd, etc. for example.)