Re: make distclean and quail

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: make distclean and quail
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 17:55:09 +0200

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> So in both cases you typed "make bootstrap"

In both cases I typed mboot, which runs the command I described (and
additionally redirects the output to "| tee trunk.log"). I never ever
bootstrap in any other way.

> the Makefile's were all identical,

I cannot be sure. I didn't bootstrap between the successful and
unsuccessful bootstraps, but I "bzr update"d and built the trunk a few
times, and sometimes that triggers configure.

> and you still got different results, is that true?

Yes.

> Any idea why it does "am--refresh" in one case, but not the other?

The dependency list of am--refresh isn't big:

  am--refresh: $(srcdir)/aclocal.m4 $(srcdir)/configure $(srcdir)/src/config.in

and I'm sure some or all these changed in the ~80 commits between
successful and unsuccesful. Though likely the reconfigure step wasn't
invoked during the unsuccessful bootstrap, but by some previous "make
all".