Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113822: Add a test for decompressing gzipped da

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113822: Add a test for decompressing gzipped data
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:41:54 -0400

> The 2 fboundp tests return non-nil when Emacs was built with zlib
> support.  zlib-available-p can return nil on MS-Windows, when the zlib
> shared library is not available, even though Emacs was built with zlib
> support.  On platforms other than Windows, the fboundp tests and
> testing the return value of zlib-available-p are equivalent.

Can't we get rid of zlib-available-p entirely.
Just replace

   (if (and (fboundp 'zlib-available-p) (zlib-available-p))
       (zlib-decompress-region ...)
     blabla)

with

   (condition-case nil
       (zlib-decompress-region ...)
     ((void-function zlib-not-available)
      blabla))

Hmm... but the above is not recognized by the byte-compiler either, so
you'll still see the spurious warning :-(
The best would really be

   (if (fboundp 'zlib-decompress-region)
       (zlib-decompress-region ...)
     blabla)

but I guess we can't have that because we also want to lazy-load the
zlib shared library, right?

        Stefan