RE: Replacing linum-mode by nlinum-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Replacing linum-mode by nlinum-mode
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 18:53:13 -0700 (PDT)

> Could someone try to take care of replacing linum-mode with nlinum-mode?
> I guess this would involve renaming linum.el (and its functions/vars) to
> olinum.el, move it to lisp/obsolete, and then try to rename the nlinum
> vars and functions to try and maximize backward compatibility.

If you want to "maximize backward compatibility", why rename anything?

Why not just use nlinum functions wherever you want, in place of linum
functions?  Why gratuitously change user code at the same time?

(To be clear, I don't knowingly use either, and I have no code that
does.  My question has nothing to do with my personal use of Emacs.)