Re: mouse-autoselect-window-select

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: mouse-autoselect-window-select
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 17:36:29 +0200

> This change in window.el:
>
>    (mouse-autoselect-window-select): Autoselect only if we are in the
>    text portion of the window.
>
> should IMO also trigger auto-selection when the mouse is in the
> display margin area of the window.  That's because from the user
> perspective the margins are an integral part of the text displayed in
> a window, not one of the decorations.  Excluding display margins will
> probably surprise users.

We can do that, obviously.  But then, if `fringes-outside-margins' is
non-nil, I would have to trigger autoselection for fringes as well.  So
I'd like to wait until someone really finds the new behavior annoying.

The rationale behind the change is that when someone wants to drag the
modeline or the scrollbar of another window and hovers too long around
the sides of that window she will get an unwanted selection.

martin