Re: mouse-autoselect-window-select

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: mouse-autoselect-window-select
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 12:03:46 +0200

>> Unfortunately, some objects that shall be dragged can be difficult to
>> localize with the mouse as, for example, the one-pixel divider between
>> windows when scrollbars are absent.  In such cases one window can get
>> inadvertently selected even when selection is delayed.  Disabling
>> selection when the mouse is over a margin or fringe does help here.  I
>> invite you to experiment with the old and new behavior to either confirm
>> my claim or provide evidence against it.
>
> Is that true even when it is required that the mouse be completely still
> for the delay?  I would think that the user would be trembling the mouse
> around continuously trying to find the small drag target.

There's a short period while waiting for the mouse cursor to change
shape on vertical dividers where a user would not tremble the mouse.
And since there's no change of the shape for the mode and headerlines,
people used to see such a change from other applications might not
tremble the mouse there either.

martin