Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113909: Refine the documentation of `insert-buf

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113909: Refine the documentation of `insert-buffer-substring'.
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 12:20:02 -0400

> Are you saying that characters don't have positions?

Obviously not.

> We say "character at POSITION", and we mean that.

We do say that at times, but note that the functions we provide have
names like `char-after' and `char-before'.  The naming was sometimes
poorly chosen (e.g. `text-properties-at'), so we're not completely
consistent here.

> What is misleading here?

That saying explicitly "inclusive" and "exclusive" means that using "at"
is not just an abuse of language but is really how things should
be understood.

If we want to be more explicit, then rather than using "inclusive" and
"exclusive", I'd rather we add a blurb like "Remember that positions are
/between/ characters, so the char right \"at\" END will not be included".

        Stefan