Re: 64-bit emacs crashes a lot

From: Ryan Johnson
Subject: Re: 64-bit emacs crashes a lot
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:20:31 -0400

On 16/08/2013 4:33 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 13:12:17 -0400
From: Ken Brown <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden, address@hidden

I'm attaching two of them. The first was a SEGV, the second was an abort.

Both in regex.c.

Lisp Backtrace:

Breakpoint 1, terminate_due_to_signal (sig=6, backtrace_limit=2147483647)
     at emacs.c:341
341    {
The program being debugged stopped while in a function called from GDB.
Evaluation of the expression containing the function
(backtrace_function) will be abandoned.
When the function is done executing, GDB will silently stop.

Here, GDB called backtrace_function, which triggered an assertion
violation.  Which probably means that the array of specbindings
(specpdl) is corrupted.

Is it possible that the stack of the 64-bit Cygwin binary is too
small?  Can you try building Emacs with a larger stack?

You are brilliant! I added LDFLAGS='-Wl,--stack,4194304' to the compilation, and the bug is gone. Thank you.

Ryan, can you confirm that this fixes the problem for your real uses of M-x compile?
I've been using it for an hour or so with no problems. Even the optimized build refuses to crash in 200-300 M-x compile cycles, which is enough to satisfy me.

Thanks for all the help, I was pulling my hair out with this one...

Ryan