Re: 64-bit emacs crashes a lot

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: 64-bit emacs crashes a lot
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 08:17:23 -0400

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 16:33:51 -0400
From: Ken Brown <address@hidden>
I added LDFLAGS='-Wl,--stack,4194304' to the compilation, and the
bug is gone.  Thank you.

So what size of stack was Emacs using before that?

Whatever is the default on Cygwin; I never used '--stack' to change it until yesterday. 'ulimit -s' returns 2025, so I guess that means the default stack is only 2MB. I've asked on the Cygwin list whether this should be increased.

FWIW, even the 32-bit native Windows build uses twice that number
(8MB), so perhaps enlarge the parameter even more.

OK.

Also please note that Ryan couldn't build with --enable-checking=all
because the value of STATIC_HEAP_SIZE in sheap.c was too small.  I
suggest to enlarge it as needed.

The reason Ryan had to increase it is that he was building from my patched sources for the Cygwin distribution. I deliberately reduce the static heap for that build, because building from the source tarball doesn't require as big a static heap as a bootstrap. I bootstrapped the trunk yesterday with --enable-checking=all and the static heap was big enough for that (but just barely).

Thanks.

Ken