Testing errors from macros with ERT and byte-compilation

From: David Engster
Subject: Testing errors from macros with ERT and byte-compilation
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 12:56:51 +0200

I have a bit of a hard time porting the EIEIO test suite to use ERT. My
problem is with testing failures from macros and their byte
compilation. An example:

(require 'eieio)
(require 'ert)

(ert-deftest eieio-broken-initform ()
  (should-error
    (defclass broken-init nil
      ((broken :initform 1
        :type string))
      "This class should break.")
   :type 'invalid-slot-type))

While this works fine when eval'ed, I cannot byte-compile this because
the macro expansion fails, obviously:

Compiling file /home/void/foo.el at Sun Aug 18 12:48:13 2013
foo.el:4:1:Error: Invalid slot type: broken, string, 1

Is there some trick I could use? Simply wrapping the defclass in 'progn'
does not work.

Or should I just use 'no-byte-compile: t' for the test suite?

-David