Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113909: Refine the documentation of `insert-buf

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113909: Refine the documentation of `insert-buffer-substring'.
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 22:30:22 +0300

> Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 06:27:25 +0800
> From: Xue Fuqiao <address@hidden>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> This rule applies to all functions that use the region.  More generally,
> it applies all functions that use BEG and END if they are buffer positions.
>
> Since there are too many functions, IMO a better approach is remove them
> ("inclusive" and "exclusive") from their own documentation and add a
> blurb like Stefan said in a node like (info "(elisp) The Region").

Like I said, I don't see anything wrong with "inclusive" and
"exclusive".  But if you want a good place to add such a blurb, do
that in the preamble in the node "Text", which already tries to say
something along these lines.  By contrast, "The Region" is only about
the region between mark and point, which is not entirely relevant to
the functions that accept BEG and END as arguments, because these
arguments don't have to come from the region limits.

Btw, this rule applies to string positions as well, I think.