Re: ELPA commit freeze

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: ELPA commit freeze
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 20:20:34 +0200

>> Do you have "Host *.sv.gnu.org User eliz" in your
>> .ssh/config?

> I have its PuTTY equivalent, the auto-login username is set to "eliz".
> (There's no ~/.ssh/config in PuTTY.)  Maybe git needs something else
> in its own config files?

This is what I do (after having made sure that msysgit uses plink for
SSH support, in the install):
 - Generate a key in PuTTYgen, and save it to a ppk file
 - Copy the "Copy this blah blah" field in PuTTYgen and paste that into
   the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file on the linux host (note: the
   autorized_keys file must not be writable by group or other)
 - Start PuTTY and:
  - Choose "Session"
  - In the "Hostname" field, put: address@hidden
    (substitute your own user name for "linuxusername")
  - In the "Saved sessions" field, put bzr.sv.gnu.org
  - Choose "Connection->SSH->Auth"
  - In "Private key file for authentication", select the .ppk file
    created with PuTTYgen
  - Choose "Session"
  - Click on "Save"
  - Click on "Open" to test the SSH connection

If the SSH "Open" works without a hitch, the git clone command should as
well.  Even if the git server doesn't allow logins, you should do the
"Open" anyway, to get PuTTY's question about an unknown host key out of
the way.