Re: ELPA commit freeze

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ELPA commit freeze
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 21:38:48 +0300

> From: Steinar Bang <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 20:20:34 +0200

> >> Do you have "Host *.sv.gnu.org User eliz" in your
> >> .ssh/config?
>
> > I have its PuTTY equivalent, the auto-login username is set to "eliz".
> > (There's no ~/.ssh/config in PuTTY.)  Maybe git needs something else
> > in its own config files?
>
> This is what I do (after having made sure that msysgit uses plink for
> SSH support, in the install):

Thanks.  My PuTTY was set up a long time ago, and works ever since,
with many VCSs and servers.  I don't even remember anymore when did I
generate the keys which I use.  And my sessions all include the
auto-login username, so there's no need to use the user name in the
hostname field.

The problem in this case, as I wrote later, was that git invokes plink
with the name of the server, but in a way that causes plink interpret
that as the name of a session.  So for this to work, one needs to have
the session name be the exact copy of the server name.  No other VCS I
have ever worked with, which includes CVS, bzr, and SVN, imposes this
restriction on the PuTTY session names.

This was revealed by using GIT_TRACE=1, a trick suggested by Andreas,
which shows the command(s) that git invokes.  Renaming the session
fixed the problem.

An alternative is to use a slightly different URL instead of
git+ssh://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/git/emacs/elpa, one that includes
the username in it explicitly, which is what I was doing before I
understood the above.