Re: ELPA commit freeze

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: ELPA commit freeze
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 04:16:28 +0300

On 23.08.2013 18:05, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Currently your README.md contains nothing but a pointer to the webpage.
Clearly, it's not that important to include every one of those elements.
When you see a pointer, you just follow it. Having a piece of text there
would be different.

Ideally, the README would be a copy of the homepage, tho (and the same
text would be used for ELPA's and MELPA's readme.txt).

I don't know about ideally, but yes, some projects do that.

> So you only
need to maintain one text, which is then copied to all places.

It doesn't transfer well to Commentary, though.

For example, http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/company.html includes the contents
of NEWS.md, which looks great.
It could similarly combine README.md and Commentary.

OK, that sounds promising, except I don't know how to combine them.
Could you define clearly "the division of work" between the two?

One of the patterns I've seen and used is have an overview, feature enumeration and brief usage section in README.md, but a more detailed or a hands-on usage instructions in Commentary. For example, the latter more often lists elisp commands defined by the package, its default keybindings, customizable options.

Some rough, inexact examples:

https://github.com/capitaomorte/yasnippet
https://github.com/dgutov/robe
https://github.com/pezra/rspec-mode
https://github.com/ScottyB/ac-js2
https://github.com/dgutov/diff-hl

There's a certain advantage to listing Elisp functions and variables in an .el files: when opened in Emacs, they're highlighted the usual way given proper markup, you can use the `describe-' commands on them easily and jump to their definitions. `describe-function' works well enough in markdown-mode too, but any bindings customized for emacs-lisp-mode, won't.

Or maybe we should just concatenate them and let the authors figure
out how to divide the work between the two?

Either show Overview (aka README.md), Usage and News under separate headings, or add a horizontal menu with these items at the top, so that the user only sees one of these at the time.

To make it less prescriptive, we can call the second section/tab literally Commentary (so authors can work out the separation of information themselves), but I don't have any other suggestions for the first section name.

One other issue is that Commentary does not have any markup, and I'd
like to use markup more actively (e.g. converting into HTML when
including it in packages/company.html, and rendering it on-the-fly in
describe-package).

Since Commentary lives in an .el file, I think it should be an extension of the current docstring or comment markup. So we have a way to highlight separate symbols, maybe also interpret additionally indented blocks of text as code. Lists, similarly to markdown. For subheadings, standardize on some scheme with extra leading semicolons. What's missing? Links, images?