Re: Can't build latest emacs on MSW + CRLF display issue

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Can't build latest emacs on MSW + CRLF display issue
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 22:33:19 +0300

> From: Vincent Belaïche <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, Karl Berry <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 20:54:01 +0200
>
> BTW there are also autoconf & automake under the sourceforge mingw
> project, but with lesser version number. Your files are for MSYS not
> MINGW, right ?

Right.

> And they need the MSYS perl, not the e.g. activestate perl.
>
> Maybe INSTALL.MSYS should be a bit more talkative about that.

It is as talkative as needed, but no more talkative.  It tells you to
get everything from MSYS Base, and a additional packages, including
Perl.  If you do that, you are all set.

> > The first one, cr.info, doesn't have ^M characters at all, as
> > evidenced by the "/" mnemonics at the left corner of the mode line.
> >

> It is a `\' not a `/' mnemonic on the PNG picture, which shows that
> cr.info

Right, sorry, I was looking at the wrong mode line ;-)

> because as you are stating later on, cr.info is deemed to be a text file
> by EMACS.

It is deemed a text file with DOS CRLF EOL format, yes.

> No problem with the info reader, that was happening with visiting the
> info files. Viewing them like info is perfect.

Then what you see is expected: a typical Info file has binary null
bytes in it, so visiting it will show the ^M, because Emacs detects
those null bytes and visits the file without any conversions,
including no EOL conversion.  Viewing the file in Info suppresses the
detection of null bytes, so you don't see the ^M.  I guess cr.info
doesn't have those null bytes (it depends on its Texinfo source).