Re: Can't build latest emacs on MSW + CRLF display issue

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: Re: Can't build latest emacs on MSW + CRLF display issue
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 04:44:31 +0200

Hello Glenn,

> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Can't build latest emacs on MSW + CRLF display issue
> Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 21:46:03 -0400
> CC: address@hidden
>

> I'm not trying to be difficult here, I really just don't understand
> your logic.
>
> Reasons to remove the old method:
> 1) It's unsupported and out-of-date (eg I know it doesn't build all the
> manuals. Minor but still a bug.).
>
> 2) There's no need to have two separate methods to build Emacs on
> MS Windows.
>
> 3) The new method is obviously preferable since it is the same method
> used on all other platforms (except MS DOS).
>
> Even if 1) changes (and it shows no sign of doing so), 2) and 3) never will.
>

> On the other hand, I can't think of a single reason to _not_ remove it.
>
> If someone turns up and wants to do 1), it will be the least of their
> problems to first revert the commit that removed the old method. (But
> we should not let them anyway, because of 2 and 3.)
>

> (BTW, I suggest at least renaming nt/INSTALL to nt/INSTALL.OLD, and
> INSTALL.MSYS to INSTALL.)

Not sure whether this email above was addressed to me or to Eli. Sorry
if I did something wrong with adding the user's confirmation in the
configure.bat.

Is that your concern ?

I was just trying to stick better to your original proposal (big fat
warning + user's confirmation to go on at his/her own risks). Maybe I
misinterpreted what you suggested, as I had not followed the full
discussion on building for MSW.

   Vincent.

PS-1: Personnally I don't mind if the .bat file is removed. But at least
keeing it has the advantage that if a user --- like me --- used his/her
legacy own MSDOS script to do all the job of

- update the source
- configure PATH for the build to work properly
- launch configure.bat with all the wanted options and then make

then this user will receive a clear warning why this old automated way
won't work, so he/she can easily update his script (or rather rewrite it
fully as a BASH script) to use the new build method. And therefore this
user will be less likely to come to this forum like I did and bother
everyone with questions.

PS-2: Your suggestion to rename the INSTALL files is excellent.