Re: the state of the concurrency branch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: the state of the concurrency branch
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 13:29:31 -0600

>> I think it would be better if all platforms supported the same primitives.

Eli> I agree.  The question was more an attempt to understand how deeply
Eli> does the threading implementation depend on Lisp mutexes and condition
Eli> variables.

System-level condition variables are needed for lisp condition
variables, of course, but also for thread-join and thread-signal.  So
they are fairly fundamental.

>> Condition variables can be implemented in a number of ways.
>> libjava already has a Windows port you can lift from.

Eli> You mean libjava that is part of GCC?

Yeah.  This thread code is all vaguely Java-like, and libjava was ported
to Windows long ago.  I think most of the implementation is in
libjava/win32-threads.cc, but some bits may lie elsewhere, I forget the
details any more.

Tom