Re: the state of the concurrency branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: the state of the concurrency branch
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:50:11 -0400

> What about the keyboard fd? is it selected by all threads, or just by
> some?  If the latter, by which one(s)?

Ideally, every terminal should have its own thread, I think.  IIUC Tom
has tried something along these lines, but hasn't managed to make it
work yet.

> Also, what about the special inputs, such as file notifications etc.,
> which currently just stuff some events into the keyboard queue -- how,
> if at all, shall that change when more than one thread could be
> running and watching those events?

As noted elsewhere, these should not go through the keyboard queue (I
understand, they currently do, and there's no pending fix to move them
elsewhere, but I think it's important to keep it in mind when thinking
up a plan to fix those problems).

>    level?  Since several threads could potentially be running at the
>    same time, is there any meaning to talk about "current thread"
>    except in the context of some Lisp code?

The current code only allows a single thread running at a time.

        Stefan