Re: C-h r and Images

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: C-h r and Images
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 08:28:51 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> > Is it because the Info browser doesn't support it.
> Of course, it does!  Try reading the GnuTLS Info manual, for example.

I just now tried that, and it didn't work for me.
I visited (gnutls)TLS layers, and it said "[broken image]"
instead of showing an image for Figure 3.1.  This is on
Fedora 19 x86-64.

Perhaps this is a problem with that distribution,
or perhaps with Emacs on GNUish platforms, but either
way I'm pretty sure that images won't work with the
standalone info viewer.

Furthermore, images won't work well for users who have
trouble seeing -- not only the 100% blind, but those who
have age-related macular degeneration and similar problems.
These people often use screen readers such as Orca, and so
can grok text fairly well, but the images' contents will
be difficult for them to see, or may be invisible to them.

For all these reasons, images in technical manuals should
generally not be the sole source of information that
they contain.  It's definitely OK to have images, but
there should be an alternative way of getting the gist
of any technical information that an image conveys.
Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be
true for the GnuTLS manual, at least not if my cursory
examination of Figure 3.1 is correct.