Re: C-h r and Images

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: C-h r and Images
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 23:37:43 +0300

> Now, if it is not possible today to have inline xrefs in Info then
> that's too bad.  Then it's a tradeoff: Is the convenience of direct
> access worth the extra verbage ("See" or whatever) added?

Today it's possible to have inline xrefs like they are
implemented for footnotes.  But the problem is how to
detect inline xrefs in Info files.  I mean when
inline and non-inline xrefs are defined in the source as:

The bindings of all key sequences are recorded in the keymaps
(@pxref{Glossary---Keymap}). @xref{Keymaps}.

How to distinguish them in the Info output of makeinfo
and render them differently in the Info reader?

> How would that be done on parts of an image (which is just pixels)?
> Can we do (the equivalent of) image maps, letting users, in effect,
> click a callout (e.g., for "Mode Line"), to go to an appropriate part
> of the manual for more info about it (e.g., `(emacs) Mode Line'), or to
> provide a tooltip with a little related info?

Maybe sliced images could help to do such image maps where
anchors will be attached to sliced parts of an image.