Re: managing windows in two frames

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: managing windows in two frames
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 09:44:10 -0400

>> You can, but that doesn't undo the fact that the user has seen it (and
>> may have had to place it manually on his desktop).
> That's the user's problem since in this case she did override your
> suggestion on not using another frame.

The user's choice has nothing to do with it: let's say Jorge (someone
writing an Elisp package) wants to get the *Help* buffer that shows the
doc of a function, but he doesn't want to display it (e.g. because he
wants to process that buffer's content in some other way).

The only function he does have is one that displays the buffer
(additionally to filling the buffer with the data I want).
So he wants to trick that function into not displaying the buffer.

Typically, people use save-window-excursion for that, but it fails if
the buffer ends up displayed in some other frame (or worse, in a new
frame), which can happen depending on the user's settings.  So Jorge
really wants he code to work regardless of any user's customization of
display-buffer, in the same sense that find-file-noselect does not pay
attention to the user's display-buffer settings.

        Stefan