Re: managing windows in two frames

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: managing windows in two frames
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 03:56:26 -0500

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>>> This is overly restrictive.
>>
>> I'm not clear what you would relax. We don't want the current frame, and
>> we want a frame with an available window.
>>
>> I guess we could allow creating a new window in an existing frame?
>
> No.  But consider the case where a user wants to have one and the same
> frame share just *Help* and *info* output and that frame is the car of
> filtered-frame-list.

So other windows would then be added to it sometimes, which is not what
the user wants.

A general solution to that sort of problem would require a
user-specified filter for picking a frame; it could check if the frame
has *Help* and return nil.

>Your approach is two-frames-centric - people might
> use three frames or more.

Yes, more frames requires more a intelligent filter, or a more
interactive choice of frame (ie prompting with a list).

But you said my current code is "overly restrictive"; here you are
proposing adding (user-specified) restrictions, not relaxing them.

--
-- Stephe