Re: There should be an option to set the display size of an image to zer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: There should be an option to set the display size of an image to zero
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 09:56:58 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Marc Feeley <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 17:57:36 -0400
>
> > I don't think this is possible in Emacs at this time.
>
> Yes, we know.

The OP didn't seem to know.

> The question is how feasible it would be to add to the C code some
> kind of support for such a feature.

The feature was not defined well enough for me to answer this
question, sorry.  If indeed the feature needs a complete redesign and
rewrite of the display layout code, it is IMO not feasible, unless
Someone™ with enough motivation and resources steps forward and
offers to do the job.  I'm not that person.

You know how Emacs lays out its display (one "display element" at a
time, left to right, top to bottom), and (Marc being your neighbor)
you can probably discuss possible ways to express on the screen what
he has in mind.  So if you can suggest an idea of implementing
something that would not require such a complete redesign, I can try
assessing its feasibility.

One possible idea -- not sure if it fits the purpose -- is to overlay
transparent-background images on top of the displayed text, not unlike
what we do with mouse pointers.  For this, I'd rather ask Jan to
comment, as this kind of graphics, most of which should be implemented
in the terminal-dependent display back-end, is way out of my area of
expertise.