Re: Building Emacs from a new MinGW environment

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building Emacs from a new MinGW environment
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:38:42 +0300

> Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:56:42 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> Just one comment: what about this:
>
> >> But the general principle is that, it is conceptually wrong to do
> >> conversions of pathnames from MSYS format to native windows format
> >> based on pattern substitution, assuming that the MSYS paths will
> >> always be either in "/X/whatever" format or in "X:/whatever" format.
> >
> > If the change in configure.ac works, we will be able to remove almost
> > all of that stuff in top-level Makefile.
>
> ?

I'd appreciate if someone else could work on this.  I'm trying to
finish up my work on TTY menus, which is dragging for more than a year
now.

In a nutshell, srcdir is now guaranteed to be in /d/foo/bar format,
and should be edited into d:/foo/bar when it is placed in
src/epaths.h.  The job is to remove anything from top-level
Makefile.in that is required for file names in format other than
/d/foo/bar, and still allow using %emacs_dir% in
'--enable-locallisppath=PATH' option to configure.  So I think
msys_to_w32 should stay intact, but msys_lisppath_to_w32 could be
simplified.