Re: Inlining doesn't happen on OS X: big performance problem

From: Ryan Johnson
Subject: Re: Inlining doesn't happen on OS X: big performance problem
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 18:35:11 -0400

On 19/09/2013 5:18 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
On 09/19/13 13:58, Daniel Colascione wrote:
I don't see why we've been going through the tree and replacing
instances of "static inline" with "static"
See bug#12541; removing the "inline" helped performance slightly there.

More generally, these days "inline" is mostly a noise word for static
functions, just as "register" is a noise word for locals.  Modern
compilers inline static functions pretty well without "inline", just
as they allocate registers pretty well without "register", and it
saves maintenance hassle if developers don't have to waste their
time reading the "inline" noise and worrying about whether the
"inline" should be there.
Instead, we get reports of emacs taking 3x longer to do something after "inline noise" is removed, leading some to wonder whether "inline" should be there after all...

(doesn't mean you want force the compiler to inline everything, but going to either extreme is going to hurt performance)

Ryan