Re: Building Emacs from a new MinGW environment

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building Emacs from a new MinGW environment
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 16:12:39 +0300

> Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 14:22:36 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> > Is libz-1.dll loaded by Emacs itself, or does some other library
> > depend on it?
>
> I don't know.  How can I find that out?

Use the dependency walker on the DLLs that are loaded by Emacs (image
DLLs, GnuTLS, libxml2).

> If I open my recently built "emacs.exe" with "dependency walker", I
> don't see a dependency with libz

That's expected, since Emacs loads it dynamically when needed.

> the dependency tree is too large to be sure, and the
> "edit > find" option is disabled.

The tree size will be much smaller, once you collapse all the branches
that begin from Windows system DLLs, since none of them cannot
possibly depend on zlib.