Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r114447: Some minor cleanups of recently-added b

From: Dmitry Antipov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r114447: Some minor cleanups of recently-added bool vector code.
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 15:48:33 +0400

On 09/24/2013 03:37 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:

On 9/23/13 9:28 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
   (size_t_to_host_endian): Now static, not static inline;
   the latter isn't needed with modern compilers and doesn't
   work with older compilers anyway.

gcc 4.2.1, frequently the system compiler for OS X, will inline these
functions if they are marked "static inline", but not if they're just
marked "static". I don't think we should be removing annotations that
help compilers that see common use.

There is a more general question: what is the oldest compiler which can
be used to build Emacs? IMHO it would be nice if `configure' will reject
"definitely old and unsuitable" compilers and issue a warnings like "your
compiler is likely too old and has not/has incomplete/has broken support
for feature X" in doubtful cases.

Dmitry